Friday, February 17, 2012

More speculation about the new Provo Temple


A few months ago I said “I furthermore don't think that the LDS church is interested in purchasing the street [100 South].” What do I read today in the Daily Herald? "Though plans are still in process, the church has proposed purchasing the adjacent parking structure located west of the temple site, as well as an adjacent portion of 100 South."(Read the whole article here ) So I'm wrong. The trick seems to be purchasing the street outright (for probably $1 million or so) rather than carelessly leaving an easement across the property.

This is a map of the property currently owned by the church.

If all the purchases go as proposed, the church property will look like this.

I guess that either parking will be were the current Nu Skin parking structure is, but underground, or down at the far end of the property. It is possible that underground parking could go under 100 south. People have been talking about the post office property, but I don't think that is probable. A post office is a good neighbor, people visit it during business hours, especially lunch. People go to the temple outside of business hours. When I was in Provo a weekday midday was a very small session. The real thing to acquire is the ugly Nu Skin building. I don't imagine it is for sale. One nice thing is that the temple is there to stay. Where will Nu Skin be in 20 years? 30? 40? 100? When the building becomes available, the church may purchase it.

This is what I think now anyway. I wonder how much of it will happen.

1 comment:

  1. There is some evidence (in the form of reports from ldschurchtemples.com) that the entire block of the street would be sold, instead of just the part I have highlighted above. I have yet to see any official report however.

    ReplyDelete