Thursday, May 16, 2013

A rendering for the Meridian Idaho temple has just been released. (The official article is here, another announcement here). Can I just say WOW! So much better than the other stuff they have been doing.
I don't mind the other designs. The new Payson design promises to be quite nice, and the Phoenix temple is quietly pleasing. Even the Brigham City temple turned out decent.
© 2013 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc

The influence is obvious, it is based on the square 3 level temples that have been favored so much in recent years. The exterior (which will probably be precast "stone") alternates highly detailed areas with flat regions, emphasizing the vertical and showing off what are bound to be excellent stained glass windows. The large gold roof on the central section topped with a Moroni statue is a daring break from recent temples, while still retaining strong classical roots. The four corners echo the shape of the dome, without stealing prominence themselves. The setbacks just below the flat roof are almost Art Deco. I think I am in love. I only hope that no one gets cold feet before construction starts.

The site plan has two large ponds to the side of the temple, crossed by a bridge. I can't wait to see it all built.

No comments:

Post a Comment