Monday, February 23, 2009

A Wicked Weekend!

Edward and I had celebrated a delayed Valentine's day this last Friday by seeing Wicked at the Orpheum in SF. The play was great - so much fun! I first discovered the soundtrack when I was pregnant with Vivian, and I played it over and over again while scrapbooking... now this baby got to attend the musical in utero. We'll see if they both turn out to be fans as they grow up!



Like I said, the play was great - the actress playing Elphaba had a really strong voice, and pulled off her numbers superbly. The actress playing Glinda didn't have as strong a singing voice but was hilarious in the roll! When she got excited she'd pump her arms and legs like a wind-up doll! She was a very convincing ditz!

Unfortunately, our experiences getting to the play were less fun. Being overly emotional (partly because I'm pregnant and partly because I'm, well, me), I burst into tears as we were leaving Vivian at her grandparents' house. This was our first night away from her, and it was hard to leave her. Of course, she was fine, and she had a wonderful time (probably didn't even notice we were gone!) but we missed her terribly! We had planned to stop by Fort Point at the base of the GG bridge before we continued on to the play, but we took the wrong exit (19th instead of downtown), and so then had to wend out way through the city to get to Market Street, where the theater was, so we missed out on the lighthouse. Of course, I find driving in the city just a tad stressful (my friend Gabull has teased me that I'm allergic to the Golden Gate Bridge!), but I finally found a parking garage that was not too far away from the theater and was only $6.00 for the evening (compared to $20.00 for the ones right next to the site)! The problem was that every step of the few blocks from our car to the theater was pure torture due to my pregnant bladder! Ouch! And once we got there, I realized that neither of us had brought the tickets from the car!

Rather than making me retrace each tortuous step, Edward ran back to the car to get the tickets while I braved a public restroom in San Francisco (trust me... this is not an activity I recommend). Since we still had about two hours before the show started, we used an app on the phone to search for nearby restaurants. We decide to try out a Brazilian place that wasn't too far away. Did I mention that by this time, my feet had begun to swell to the size of small turkey? Yay for pregnancy! So of course I was a bit uncomfortable. I kept looking at the map on my phone, thinking we should have been there already, and finally, after checking street numbers, I realized that we had definitely passed it. We turned around, asked directions at a market, and finally found the restaurant (too hip to have a prominently posted sign, I guess). It was a cute little place (emphasis on little - the whole seating area was not much bigger than our kitchen & dining room). The food was really good - I had the pork chop and Edward had the snapper, and we both had their yummy mashed sweet potatoes! The problem was that it was happy hour, and there were several parties there getting... happy. Very, very loudly. In addition to that, the music was exceedingly loud as well. It was about this time that I realized that I am really not a city person. Edward joked that we have to go into the city once every couple of years... to remind ourselves why we live where we do!

After the show, we headed back to our hotel in San Rafael (my old stomping ground). We wanted to find someplace to have a yummy dessert, but discovered that things haven't changed since I was in college there - not much is open past 11 pm! We ended up getting some sweets at Safeway and headed back to the hotel. In the morning, we attended a temple session, which was wonderful. Because it's hard to go with small kids, it's been way too long since we'd been! It was such a pleasure to be there, and I realized that we need to make the effort more often!

After the temple, we met Gabull and Ali in Novato for lunch. Gabull made Vivian the most adorable quilt, and we had a great time catching up and visiting. Our time together was over too soon, but I was definitely ready to get back to my girl! We picked up Vivian, and after some visiting with the Cannons, we headed home.

It was a long weekend, and it had it's ups and downs, but it was a lot of fun overall, and I'm glad we went. And more than anything, I was glad to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment